Saturday, March 11, 2017

Books

A few books I've finished lately:

This was an extremely interesting, engaging book.  I could say so much more about it, but I think I need to let things sit for a while and come back to that later.  It for sure is not for people who fear change or are committed to keeping things "the way they have always been" or "the way we've always done things."  Now that I think bout it, I think I may have heard Dr. Salter McNeil speak at Urbana, oh so many ages ago when I was in college...maybe my Sophomore or Junior year?  


This is our most recent book club book, which we'll be discussing on Monday night.
I loved learning about this piece of American history, as I have never spent much time in more "modern" eras when it comes to reading and classes.  In fact, I hope to audit some great modern American history classes at local colleges and universities when the kids are grown.  Thinking of that ahead of me, way down the road, makes me very happy.  :)  This was a great book (history but reads like fiction), but also rather depressing.  I read the entire thing (450 pages) on my 4 day trip to Arizona, so it was nice to be back in the swing of "old Lisa" and how she used to read.  ;)


I grabbed this book based on Sarah Bessey's recommendation on Instagram, I think.  It was good, but not *amazing*.  I very much appreciated all of the logical thinking and practical ways to really make things happen for families, but I wanted a bit more depth and complexity in the thinking sometimes, and the writing.  I found myself thinking "That's a great idea...let's find a more artistic way to SAY it, rather than only that simple sentence."  Haha.  Like *I* am one to talk, right?  But I've never sold myself as a writer or an author, and I do appreciate quality writing very much.  I will probably come back to this book many times for the great, easy, practical advice...but I wish the writing had drawn me in more.  Then I'd be more likely to recommend it as a book, not simply an instruction manual.