Monday, March 6, 2023

Broadway is Back


This past weekend our kids were in a musical called Broadway is Back put on by our church.  They'd been practicing for months and the time finally came.  They were both extremely excited.


The pictures aren't the greatest in this light, and I'm no good at loading video.  Maybe Lisa can put some in a post-edit.  (This is Jonas btw).


By all accounts, Finn was born to be on stage.  Here he is playing the Artful Dodger from Oliver Twist and singing Consider Yourself to Oliver.  Incredible.  Great dancing too!

The play was a series of scenes and musical numbers from past plays the church has done.  The list is Pippin, Oliver, Singin' in the Rain, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Beauty and the Beast, Les Miserables, Hello Dolly, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Fiddler on the Roof, and Annie.  (whew)



Layla played one of the sisters from Fiddler on the Roof.  Here she is singing Matchmaker with five other girls.  She did a wonderful job.  


Here is Finn in Hello Dolly


Layla again in Fiddler on the Roof (on the left).


Layla in Hello Dolly.


They were both beaming afterward and had lots of people praising their performances.  Finn especially seemed to have captured quite a lot of attention.  You could tell he was just enjoying himself up there.

After every play practice, you could see their moods were bright and they were just happy.



Dan, Kathleen, the MN grandparents, and most of the Horsmans came for the last performance.  Both Finn and Layla love a good audience.


So many flowers.  Everyone brought flowers for Layla, and Finn wasn't left out either.  



Here is one last picture of a really cool glove effect they did at the beginning.



I got to see two performances, and they were both worth every second.  I played violin for Aladdin back in 2020, which was fun, but I'm glad I got to see the performance from the crowd's point of view on this one.

And this isn't the end.  They're putting on a play at school that we get to see in April.  I don't think Finn has a role, but Layla does, and Finn seems happy to be a part of the backstage crew.  I'm looking forward!