Monday, June 9, 2014

Poor baby. :(

That red blob in the middle of Cora's belly button?  That, folks, is an umbilical granuloma.

SUPER fuzzy, I know, but taking a picture of a 6-week-old's squirming tummy is no easy thing, unless they are sleeping.  She was NOT.

They are the most common form of belly button problem after the cord falls off, and Cora's did fall of VERY early, in my opinion.  So, she has one.  It's just this red blob of skin and tissue that sticks up and out of her belly button--looking like a rather wet, inflamed "outie."  And you know how much I loves those.  There are no nerve endings in there, so it causes her no pain or irritation, but it can leave her at risk to more infection, and in the long run, if not treated, she would grow up to be a girl very displeased with her odd looking belly button.  So, I took her in to have it taken care of.  The Dr. froze it with liquid nitrogen, although this procedure may need to be repeated a time or two more.  What sort of SHOCKED me is that the little blob now has to be surgically removed, under general anesthesia, sometime around a year or so!!!  Ack!  I mean, I'm committed to future-Cora, that her belly button not be a cause of sadness for her...but general anesthesia for a one-year-old, just for this?  Yikes.  :(  We shall see how I feel about this a year from now.