Thursday, December 3, 2015

Advent

I love this season, but it's hard to find Advent music that is clearly not Christmas music.  While I love Christmas music...it's not Christmas yet!!! :)  I will listen to it later on, but come on...Advent has just begun!  So, I was really happy to find this CD by Rain for Roots called "Waiting Songs."  It's what the kids and I will be listening to in the car on our many daily outings these days.

(I discovered Rain for Roots in my apple radio "Elizabeth Mitchell" station...fun times!)



I also really liked this blog entry by Tish Oxenrider from Simple Mom fame, who runs "The Art of Simple."  http://theartofsimple.net/simple-advent/   Easy, simple, totally do-able.  I'm giving her great playlist a try as well!

The song that has been running through my head lately is "In the bleak midwinter."  Love it.  Here are two versions of it:  the traditional, and a slightly different arrangement by Sarah McLachlan that I adore.






This year, instead of candy in our advent count-down bags, we're doing family activities.  I got most of my ideas and inspiration from this website:  http://adrielbooker.com/family-advent-activities-christmas-countdown-fun/  I think 20 of our 25 activities come from her ideas, and the rest are just things our family will be doing based on certain days (going to a play, driving to WI to see my grandmother and a nativity play there, celebrating St. Nicholas day on the 6th, St. Lucia on the 13th, etc.)  Fun times, guys!  The kids are LOVING LIFE.  Tonight the activity was to sit by the fire together and read Christmas themed books.  Last night it was playing in the bouncy castle together, and then packing up food for hungry people to donate to a food shelf.  Layla was not exactly thrilled with that idea at first (our first night was building a snow man together outside, so she felt that bagging up food was a step down...), but after we talked about it for a bit she GOT IT.  We packed it all up yesterday, and it's in the car now to bring somewhere tomorrow.  She does NOT want me to do this by myself, during the day, so we're going together after she gets out of school.  <3 nbsp="" p="">