Tuesday, August 2, 2016

August 2nd.

In garden news (because I know you've been wondering about our tomato plants...), our 5 tomato plants grew like gangbusters this June and July.  We've already harvested a ton of big red tomatoes, and it's only August 2nd!  The bad news is that they either have a disease, or an animal got to them this year, so they are already dying.  :(  I think it might actually be both.  We always get some leaves that turn brown spotty, but it has never hurt the plants entirely.  This year, we've got those leaves (which a friend told me was soil rot, and we could prevent it by putting wood chips down under the plants.  We didn't.  We're cheap.  We're cool with soil rot...haha.), AND we used a green plastic fence instead of a metal fence.  BIG mistake.  Clever little creatures (rabbits are all I have seen near the area) bite neat little squares into the fence and then do something inside...so not good.  Next year.  Next year, wood chips AND a metal fence, maybe?  In the mean time, we watch the plants slowly die and are thankful for a big harvest already.  :)

And, the children swim.  As always.  Last week we broke out the sprinkler, too.  BIG hit.  



Cora is such a little stinker.  She likes to pour sand from the sand box into the pool.  It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get out, as it sinks to the bottom and is too fine to get cleaned out by the filter.  I've told the kids that if they ever see Cora putting sand in the pool, they should splash her, big time.  I'm SO done with it.  She knows, too.  She fully understands, and chooses to do it just the same.