Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dear Papa: I love you





(As told to Mama):
Dear Papa,
I love you. I love you a LOT. I love you because I know you love me…and because you make me laugh! Thank you for letting me pull your chest hair, stick my thumb up your nose, bang on the top of your head, bite your ears and nose, pull your “hair,” and all this with a smile and a laugh. Thank you for playing fun games with me: I think I will never forget the phrase (chanted in a loud, low, voice) “I love you….YES I do…I love you…and DEW DEW DEW!” (Maybe you have to be there to picture the absolute FUN that goes with that, people! Papa grabs my arms and legs together and bounces my whole body up and down—sheer delight, if you haven’t ever tried it…). Thank you for always taking me for fun little walks in the mornings so Mama can get a little extra sleep…I love those walks. Thank you for cuddling with me and bouncing me to sleep so often…I love falling asleep in your strong arms. Thank you for sleep training me Mama’s way—your way was just too scary, Papa, so thank you for helping me feel loved and safe while still teaching me how to sleep. Thank you for always getting so excited to see me, and for playing games with me and doing anything you can to make me smile and laugh every single time you come back into a room. Papa, you are the coolest toy EVER! You might think I prefer Mama right now, but really Papa, it’s just because she has boobs. YOU are so much more exciting than Mama! You work up a sweat playing with me—THAT’s love. Papa, thank you for staying up late with me at night, getting up early with me in the morning, and all of those paths you walked into the carpet with me when I was a baby (sorry about those “crying” days…I know they were a bit tough on you). Thank you for kissing me so much, every day. I know I am loved, Papa. I love you tons and tons…just WAIT until I can tell you with my own words!Happy Father's Day!
Love,
Layla Renee Schaefer