Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Changing and Growing

There is a lot of changing and growing going on around our home these days!

NO, I am NOT pregnant.  Sheesh!!  :)

Up until about 3 weeks ago, Finn was the mildest baby ever...and then three weeks ago he changed!!  He's now got some spitfire in him!  He knows exactly what he wants and will fight tooth and nail for his object of desire.  He makes the "brrrrrrrrrr" sound with his lips all the time, and rolls everywhere.  If I put him down on his back he is majorly offended, sobs, and then rolls over many times to fix the situation.  He wants me ALL the time now, which is hard for me to get used to because in the past I could put him down while doing...say...anything.  Now we're thing 1 and thing 2, just like infancy again.  : ) However, when I am holding his just as he wishes, he now squirms, twists, turns, and thrashes around ALL the time...where did my calm baby go????  It's crazy!  He really wants to crawl but has absolutely no idea how to go about doing it...and I must confess I'm not encouraging him at all.  If he wants to do it, he has to figure it out on his own...because the thought of two totally mobile children who don't really listen to what I say terrifies me!  I really did lay awake in bed the other night thinking "WAIT.  When Layla and Finn can BOTH walk, and I take them to the park, and one goes one way while the other goes the other way....what do I DO??? Neither of them exactly listen to me if I say stop!"  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :)

Finn is also finally starting to take to solid foods.  Thank you Jesus!  Just yesterday he figured out how to feed himself cheerios, and I got almost an entire package of baby food pears into him.  Then he had the most MAJOR blow-out diaper of his entire life.  Actually, of his life and Layla's entire life!  It was incredible...a true thing to behold.  My tub is currently filled with about 10 items of clothing needing to be washed and "sanitized." However, I can't be too upset at him...it was his first blow-out diaper of his life, really, and he's never even had to go to the Dr. because he was sick, so thus far his life has been rather uneventful.  He still smiles his HUGE smiles any time I show up and he hasn't seen me for 10 seconds.  And he's laughing so much these days!  For a while his laugh was just a funny little chuckle sound, but now he laughs...and boy do we work to get him to do it again and again.  :)

Layla's talking and preferences make me smile (usually) on a daily basis. Some things she says/does these days:
1.  When she wants me to pick her up she says "Want to come here!!" while holding out her arms to me, because I say "Come here..." when I'm picking her up.  I love that one.

2.  She is majorly into earlobes.  She's always been a "touch/skin" child...from day 1...and it has never stopped.  She needs a good 10+ minutes of "cuddle/skin time" after she wakes up...and usually this involves her rubbing my arms or neck.  However, the Winter cold put a stop to that because Mama is a freeze baby, so Layla now goes for the earlobes!  She even will hold one of her own earlobes if she is trying to comfort herself...so cute.

3.  She says "I wuv you too, Mama." when I tell her I love her.  I DIE every time she does this.  :)

4.  Jumping is her new love in life.  She jumps on the couch, on our bed, and from the coffee table to our big stuffed chair.  All of these things are "slightly" dangerous, but we're sorta limited on fun things to do here in our tiny apartment in the Winter, so we roll with it.  She's extremely proud of her jumping abilities.

5.  If she can watch ANY TV at all, her preference is ALWAYS "Diego" now.  ANY sound she hears, inside or outside, she always stops, gasps, and says, "Oh no!  It's an animal in trouble!  Come ON, Mama!  Come ON!"  And then we run to rescue it.  It totally cracks me up, these animals she's learning about on Diego.  To hear her talking about a Pygmy Marmoset, or a Chinchilla, or the Pumas is just too funny to me. She now regularly pretends to be talking to Alicia on her video watch, and then ends with "I coming, Wisa!"

6.  She still lives to LEAVE the apartment.  That's a bit rough these days, with it being Winter in MN and all, so Jonas and I have talked about maybe putting her on more of a "schedule" for the things we do around the house.  She needs to be engaged in something all the time, so we'll see if that happens... ;)  Two kids and all... :)

I'll add more later, but now I'm off to take advantage of ONE of my kids sleeping!