Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas:

Okay, this is how it goes:

Thanksgiving = November 27th

Advent = November 30th-December 24th (this year)

Christmas = December 25th-January 6th.

Sorry, folks!  Those are just the FACTS! :)

So, right now we are in the middle of Advent, which is, as always, make so much more wonderful with children around.  We aren't doing as much this year as we did last year, because evidently having a 7-month-old is more time consuming than being pregnant, but we're still leaning in to Advent for sure.  We've got the Advent wreath and candles, learning "O come, o come, Emmanuel" as a family, fun Advent bags and readings from Aunt Laura, the advent calendar from Grandma, and more.

I like my separate holidays to stay my separate holidays, so we enjoy Thanksgiving as a family, then we prepare for/enjoy Advent together, THEN Christmas comes.  At the END of Advent.  And it's 12 days long, folks!  12 days!  If you are sick of Christmas by December 26th it's probably because you didn't celebrate Advent/started celebrating Christmas too early.  ;)  (My kids open 1 book from Grandma on each of the 12 days of Christmas.  I love that tradition so much, because 1) there is a little mini-celebration on each of the 12 days of Christmas then, and 2) they get lots of fun new books in a very inexpensive way each year--Mom buys them used, of course.  No need for brand new books.)

We don't have a Christmas tree up yet...but we'll get one before Christmas Eve for sure, mostly just because of time required to set it up/decorate with kids--that time is very limited with J's work schedule, and the kids being in bed by 7.

I have just started to listen to some Christmas music...I did a search on Pandora / Spotify for "Advent Hymns" and there was nada.  No surprise, really, but they are out there, so I'll have to make a mix myself.  :)

My favorite Christmas music??  Glad you asked.  :)

1.  Listen to the Angels, by Neal and Leandra.
 http://www.amazon.com/Listen-Angels-Neal-Leandra/dp/B00007IJ2Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418315610&sr=8-1&keywords=Neal+and+Leandra+Listen+to+the+Angels
Their songs "Listen to the Angels" and "Tell me the old, old story" just melt my heart, but I love this entire CD/album.  It's the best.

2.  Merry Christmas, by Mariah Carey.
http://www.amazon.com/Merry-Christmas-Mariah-Carey/dp/B000002A46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418315667&sr=8-1&keywords=Mariah+Carey+Christmas
NO ONE (no one!) can sing "O, Holy Night" like Mariah.  And she makes "Joy to the World" sound actually joyful!  I love that.  This will forever hold a top Christmas spot in my heart.

3.  "Wintersong," by Sarah McLachlan.
http://www.amazon.com/Wintersong-Mclachlan-Sarah-Audio-CD/dp/B00GG3SH46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418315802&sr=8-2&keywords=Sarah+Mclachlan+wintersong
It's just so calm, peaceful, and serene.  Listening to it at night, while it snows outside, with the lit-up tree in front of you?  Perfection.

4.  Christmas with the Rat Pack, by them.
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Rat-Pack-Audio-CD/dp/B00G2IZGQW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418315960&sr=8-2&keywords=Rat+Pack+Christmas
Because...obviously!  This is great for baking day. :)

5.  White Christmas, by Bing Crosby.
http://www.amazon.com/White-Christmas-Crosby/dp/B008YYSDSU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418316017&sr=8-3&keywords=Bing+Crosby+Christmas
See my reason for #4.

6.  Midwinter, by Peter Mayer
http://www.amazon.com/Midwinter-Peter-Mayer-folk/dp/B000CCRXF6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1418316176&sr=8-5&keywords=Peter+Mayer
He is local to St. Paul, MN, and I've listened to him since I was in Jr. High, I think.  The calm, quiet guy with the guitar....yes.  :)

I'll post more later, as I think of them...there are ALWAYS more...
There are lots of other individual songs I love, but it's hard to find whole albums you love, you know?