Thursday, January 22, 2015

Finn:

Jonas took Finn in to see a nurse yesterday.  He was behind on a few vaccines (I intentionally delay them), so we just needed for him to get caught up, and as the clinic offered a 5:30 appointment I GLADLY let Jonas take him.  Mean, maybe, but I have been the "bad guy" when it comes to shots for 5 years now...it's fine if someone else gets the blame too, right? ;)

NOT how it worked out.

(One of the shots Finn had to get was his TDap booster, and those shots HURT older kids (at least my poor older kids).  That was the shot that made Layla's arm go black and blue and swell up for almost a month post-shot.  Sheesh.  Scary stuff.)

So, Finn comes back with Jonas an hour later, seemingly happy, enjoying his sucker.  But when he sees me his face crumples, tears fill his eyes, and he says "Mama!  The bad doctor gave me shots!!!"  :(

 He had a hard night of sleep / was clearly uncomfortable in his sleep, and this morning he is very sad because his leg is hurting him (they gave him the shot in his leg, rather than his arm.  In hindsight, I might have preferred his left arm...he doesn't use it to eat, and would then be able to walk normally).  His thigh actually is swollen some, but no black and blue marks yet.  We shall see.  Anyway, I took him onto my lap this morning and was snuggling him while he was sad about his leg hurting.  Then we had this conversation:
Finn:  Mama?  It wasn't the doctor's fault.
Me:  No?
Finn:  No.  It was YOUR fault, Mama (points his finger at my chest).
Me:  *heartbreak*  Yeah, Mama said it was okay for the Dr. to give you the shot.  It will help keep you healthy.  But you're right, the doctors don't get to do anything to you without Mama saying it's okay.
Finn:  YOUR fault. (pointing at my chest again)  *tears*
Sheesh.  I wasn't even there, yet somehow it's still my fault, and Jonas gets no blame at all!

OMG.  He is so sad, and in actual pain too.  Sniff.  :(  Sad Mama moment.