Today on our walk home from the park, Finn ran up on to someone's lawn and tripped on a massive broken glass jar. It sliced open his leg in 2 different spots. Off we ran home, and our friend watched the 2 girls at home while I took Finn to the ER.
![]() |
| How we arrived at the hospital. Waiting. Finn got to sit in a wheelchair. He was a bit fan. |
They tried to numb his leg with a topical gel and then sew it up, but there was no way that was going to work, so they had to give him a shot of lidocaine.
People. Have you HAD one of those? They are awful. AWFUL. I had one when I had my abscess years ago (remember that fun time?), and I thought I was going to die in those 20 seconds of agony. So, when Finn screamed like he was being murdered, I could relate to that. After the shot, though, things we easy. They sewed him up no problem and kept saying "Finn? Feel that, Finn? You okay, Finn?" No response from Finn. He was watching cartoons and checked out from the process already.
As we walked out of the ER the guy across from us said to him "Did they amputate your leg??? It sure SOUNDED like it!" :)
Side note: my nervous response to his extreme response is to laugh. It's SO bad, as a mother! I think I confused the nurse very much. Sigh.
The PA who did Finn's stitches / care really annoyed me. Thinking back on it now, I really should have honestly told him to stop lying to Finn / trying to trick him, but I was just focused on Finn at that moment. I didn't have time to give his Dr a life lesson and better bedside manner training. Grrr. Anyway, so every time he told Finn it wouldn't hurt, I'd turn right to Finn and say "It MIGHT hurt some, we don't know, but I'll be right here by you and we'll figure this out." Then the guy would say "There are no needles" while at the same time letting me know that they had to give Finn a shot. So I TOLD Finn that. I mean, seriously, right??? How hard it is to tell the truth in a non-brutal way? He was young. Probably no kids. Some things you learn by experience, OR by being told them over and over. Clearly neither had happened in his life yet, it seems.
![]() |
| Finn's leg, split open, with the useless numbing stuff on top/covered up with a bandage. Some blood and guts for you today. |
![]() |
| All cool and dandy, not knowing the shot was coming up... |
![]() |
| The stitches...which continued to bleed, post sewing. :( |
When we got home, after 2.5 hours, I spent 10 minutes working around the house and then Cora slammed her hand in a window. Really hard. She took HOURS to fully calm down from that. It was rough, poor baby. I seriously almost turned around and went back to the ER or Urgent Care. This is life with little kids, folks. Dr appts left and right...haha. We did meds, ice, nursing, ice cream, and finally, hours later, I was seeing her bend it without crying, so hopefully she is okay. We'll see tomorrow, I guess. :/
Oh, and Friday we leave for our first family camping trip. In tents. In the forest. No power. Should be fun. :) (We're doing the "travel and adventure and making memories with young kids on a budget" thing. Travel can be local, friends! Travel can be cheap! Travel should not require your life savings.)
What would you say our chances are of returning from this trip all in one piece??



