Monday, August 21, 2017

Eclipse 2017

We juuuuuust returned from vacation, right?  And vacations mostly just exhaust me...haha.  So, I was not feeling the love for Eclipse 2017, but Finn adores Science, so to be a good mother I felt I had to lean into it somehow.

My good friend and neighbor Lauren convinced me to go down to our local community center to see their "party" there.  I'm glad we did, because we got some glasses for free and the kids all got to at least see and experience the eclipse, but let me just say this:  I'd be careful to advertise an eclipse "party," Arlington Heights Community Center, when your offerings are so limited and poorly organized!  Please, God, let me organize the world some day...  :)



Finn the Science kid, geeking out at first glance...


We were waiting in line for an "eclipse cookie" and a button.
Do we still do buttons in 2017??




Eclipse cookies!


The button we stood in line for 15 minutes for.  ;)

We all got to see the sun half covered, but then heavy clouds moved in around the time of totality.
We went to the park next door to the community center and I told the kids I'd call them if the clouds parted at all.  Finn was VERY nervous about this...he wanted to see the FULL eclipse.  So, the clouds parted once and I called Layla and Finn over quickly, to see.  Finn for sure got to see the tail end again, but Layla didn't.  However, Finn was CRUSHED.  He wanted to see it all.  When he realized that was it, the full extent of his viewing pleasure, he started to cry.  This crying lasted a good 15 minutes...not loud or sobbing, just heartbroken scientist crying.  OMG.  I was crying and laughing at the same time.  #MeanMom2017  


Finn in a depression behind a rock.  He blamed me, not the clouds...

We went home and I hunted up all the NASA, National Geographic, and random YouTube videos on eclipses for him.

That helped a lot.  He watched one in particular about 7 times, then life was fine again
Phew!  We DID it!  Maybe I'll be better prepared for 2024...