A few nights ago Finn and Layla got into fort-making mode. They ended up sleeping in this fort on Monday night, I believe. Ask me how much Cora HATED to leave this fort when she had to go to her own bed. Wowza. You better be sure she woke them up at 6:30 the next morning...haha.
This Thursday Jonas was gone all day getting firewood in WI. It was likely my first day being a "normal parent in charge" in likely 2 months, maybe more. Crazy. Anyway, the biggest blessing to me was how well all 3 kids played together ALL DAY. We didn't do a single thing. We didn't go anywhere fun. We just stayed home, didn't do any school, and they PLAYED. Love it. But then one time it got suuuuuper quiet, so I peeked around the corner to check on them: they were all sitting quietly (see the picture below) in the living room, cutting white paper into scraps in containers. It was so quiet I didn't do anything about it, even though we all know tiny paper scraps can be not-so-fun in the future (turns out it was being made into snow...and they did clean it all up themselves).
![]() |
| A pot of chicken soup. The first food I've "cooked" in likely 2+ months. Silly how much energy this took for me to make.... |
Finn asks every day for me to teach him to read. The speed with which he locks onto phonics concepts is kind of crazy to me, especially as he is only 6, and age 7 is generally agreed upon as a better age to start real phonics instruction. But man is he ready. I think it bothers him that there is all this information out there, in the world, and he doesn't have access to it right now! Haha. I can totally relate to that. :) He walks around the house holding the books he knows how to read, and he reads them over and over, out loud to himself or anyone else who will sit still.
![]() |
| I'm pretty sure nothing is going to warm my heart more as a mother than seeing my children sitting quietly, loving the books they are reading. *heart melt* |
Cora and Finn got into the blocks and castles the other day. Finn took the first picture, because...it's what he does.
Last night for family movie night we explored more of Lisa's childhood by showing the kids "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." Huge hit with the kids. Jonas says he has NEVER seen this movie. And he doesn't even have the "I'm Canadian" excuse that Jon uses!
![]() |
| Cora stuck with all 2.5 hours of the movie! |
Layla wanted to re-watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang today, and she had a PLAN: she brought me her phonics book this morning, before she left for ballet, so that requirement was done, and then she got out the violin as soon as she got home from ballet. Hearing her play is something else that just melts my heart, guys. I tear up all the time, and she's not even that good yet...haha. We got 2 primary piano theory books from Amazon today and will start both kids on those soon as well.














