Friday, January 5, 2018

A quick health update, of sorts...

We've had lots of doctor appointment in the last few days!  It's also been stupidly cold around here for the last week or so, so that makes getting to and from those doctor appointments an extra *adventure*.

First, Layla and Finn had dentist appointments yesterday.  I need to take Cora in too, sometime, but I didn't have the energy to do THREE kids back-to-back.  We'll do her on a warmer day.  So Cora's job yesterday was to just sit and wait patiently...which she did at a B+ level, I'd say.

Finn LOVES going to the dentist.  I have no clue why, but I'm glad.  Layla is *okay* with it, but then gets afraid of the oddest things, like when they paint your teeth pink to show you where you need to brush better.  That has freaked her out in the past, but this time she did fine, so now I gladly have two older children who are just fine at the dentist...

...and cavity free!  They still aren't even clear on the concept of cavities, so when I explained it more Layla got all grossed out and asked me to stop talking about it.  Good enough.  As long as they remain cavity free we won't need to cover that ground.  :)


Look at Cora's face.  That child.  She INSISTED on wearing a skirt and tights in -25 degree weather.  Okay, fine.  #thirdchild



The picture below is me sitting on the rocking chair, and Finn with his hand on my belly, feeling the baby kicking.  This has been a recent development in the last week, where I felt like the kicks were strong enough to be felt on the outside, and the kids are LOVING it.  They want to feel all the time, even when baby isn't moving.  It's been pretty sweet.

So, today I had 3 doctor appointments back to back:  10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 12:00 p.m.  First I had an ultrasound of my leg at the hospital.  Then I drove to another building to consult with a vascular Dr. about that ultrasound.  Then I drove back to the hospital to meet with my high-risk OB.

The ultrasound tech for my leg was all business and no talking, but right at the end of my appointment she slipped me these two pictures.  She had been checking a vein in my upper abdomen, and said "The baby's head was right there, so I took these two pictures for you...but don't tell any medical professional I did that!"  It was kind of sweet.  :)  She has no idea I get ultrasound pictures what seems like every 2 weeks, otherwise these would have been even more treasured.  So, below are 2 pictures of baby boy somewhere around 24 weeks, taken by a lady who should have been aiming at my leg...haha.
23 weeks is an important date in my mind, because it's at 23 weeks that some babies can survive (on the very early end) if there is some sort of problem.  27 weeks is when 90% of babies born early can survive, so that's when I officially breathe easier....mostly...sort of...


In the consult with the vascular Dr. I learned that my leg is *fine*.  It's not 100% better, by any means, but they aren't currently worried about my health as long as I remain on the lovenox (blood thinning shots).  

There is still some of the clot remaining in my leg, and it also looks like there is scar tissue in my vein from how large and extensive the clot was.  Again, no one is worried at this point as long as I remain on blood thinners...it's what happens after I go off (IF I go off) that is the bigger question, but we won't cross that road until at least 6 weeks post birth of baby.  The presence of scar tissue does make it more likely that a clot could re-grow there, so it also makes it more likely, I think, that I may be on blood thinners as a precaution for the rest of my life.  Again, we'll see, and cross that bridge when needed.  

The one bit of happy news I got today was that I do NOT need to wear compression socks for the rest of my life!  Yay!  I mean, I don't *hate* them, especially in winter, but the thought of wearing knee-high socks all summer was depressing me.  THIS vascular Dr. said I only need to wear them in response to swelling, even while pregnant.  Dr. #1 in the hospital in September told me I needed to wear them forever and ever, amen.  High Risk OB told me I needed to wear them all of my pregnancy, but after that we could talk about it.  Vascular Dr. #3 tells me only when I have swelling, even if I am pregnant.  I'm going to pick...Vascular Dr. #3 for the win!  :)  Again, I don't mind wearing them during the winter, so I'll likely stick with my current routine while pregnant:  wear them, when I remember/feel like it, during the day, this winter.  As soon as weather warms up, though, I'm going to wear them for swelling only...and swelling is something I have never had, ever, with any of my pregnancies.  So, fingers crossed!  

After the vascular Dr. I went to see my high-risk OB, and had a blessedly short visit there.  I thought I also had an ultrasound scheduled, but I did not, so I was in and out in 30 minutes...amazing!  I learned that I still have not gained any weight this pregnancy.  I tell you, our bodies are funny, aren't they??  I'm pregnant, and could have eaten to my heart's desire this whole holiday season, but being pregnant makes me not hungry, and also I don't crave the things I normally do.  I normally love carbs and sugar, but when I'm pregnant my BODY wants fruits and vegetables. It's not me, not Lisa, trust me!!   I still don't even really have a desire for much meat at all, but man do I need fruits all the time.  Please let me reassure you...this is not me trying to be healthy in any way.  Please.  I have 3 little kids and I homeschool.  I'm not trying to win awards for the healthiest pregnant Mama on the block.  If my body was craving or asking for Domino's pizza every day I'd probably do it.  But I physically don't want much other than lots of generally healthy stuff.  Hence, I'm guessing, no weight gain.  (Also, there is that pesky little fact that I started this pregnancy above a healthy weight, so my body truly doesn't have to gain much weight at all to be at my general "resting pregnancy weight"...haha.  With Layla I gained 35 lbs.  With Finn I gained 27.  With Cora I gained 17.  I have no idea what this one will be, but I'd put my guess around 15 lbs at this point in time).  It's crazy, though, to look down at this belly...this belly that has exploded in the past 2 weeks, and think "How can I not have gained weight???  Where is THIS all coming from then, and how is it not taking up more mass on a scale??" Haha.  Sigh.  I seriously feel like I look 34 weeks pregnant, and I'm only 24.  God give my stomach skin strength to hold on until 39 weeks, please.