Saturday, February 24, 2018

Base Camp for Layla and Finn

3-4 times a year Layla and Finn participate in Base Camp at Fort Snelling, run through the Boy Scouts, I believe.  There is a specific focus each time:  last time it was outdoor survival skills, and this time it was robotics, archery, and team building games.  They had a great time and were sad when I came to pick them up, which is always a good sign, right?

Cora and I dropped them off at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, then we headed to a Dr. appt for me.  It was a very quick Dr. appt, so I thought it would be no big deal to bring Cora, especially considering I was so far away from anyone to drop her off for babysitting easily (due to Base Camp).  Hah.  That was 100% pregnancy brain talking, man.  She did okay, I guess, but I got a nice little reminder of why little kids should only go to little kid Dr. appts, not adult ones.  Next time I will plan better.  Next time.  In fact, I already have...I scheduled a babysitter for my Dr. appt and ultrasound next Thursday!  Go me.

The ENTIRE day Cora asked when we were going to go back and pick up Layla and Finn.  She hates being left out of things, and she is NOT an introvert, so a day alone with Mama was not up there on her list of things to shoot for.  Plus, 3rd Trimester Mama is not super fun...let's be honest here.

We went back to grab the kids at 3:30 p.m., so I arrived just a bit too late to get any good photos of the kids doing archery or rock climbing (how they end every session).  As soon as we got there Cora ran in, grabbed a girl she knew to be her escort, and took off to explore.  I am so stinkin' curious to see what Cora decides to do with her life.


Cora and a friend, just exploring the facility.

Layla doing the classic childhood game of 4-square.
Am I right, or am I right?  Maybe this was mostly girls?
Behind them, way in the back on the right, you can see the archery set up.
And to the left you can see some of the team challenge areas and ropes courses.

Finn was playing some sort of dodge ball game where the ball has to stay on the ground and you just pound it with your fist alone.  

He's in the blue and white hat in the bottom right of the picture.
Behind these kids you can see the rock wall.
Layla prayed the night before that God would help her get to the top of the wall this time.
She did not, but she still attempted it, so I was proud of her...she has a bit of a fear of heights.


Posing with Boy Scout Snoopy on our way out.