Saturday, February 10, 2018

Mid-winter library days

God bless the St. Paul public library system.  I especially love the old library near our house, because it seems that no one is ever there, especially other children.  Therefore, no chaos in a place that should be calm and quiet.  :)   There is a nicer, newer community center and library much closer to our house (not like this one is far away...a mile...but still), but I never go there because of the constant chaos.  Hard PASS from me, man.  Especially on the unsupervised pre-teen kids.  Nah.

I sat in bed the other night I ordered books for African-American history month, regular U.S. history, and the Olympics.  Check.  From BED.  Do you realize the depth of my love for someplace that lets me be organized from bed???  *swoon* . Not to mention how insanely cheap homeschooling is (or can be, unless you are fully committed to box set curriculums) when you have a library card...


Layla and Finn spend so much time pouring over books and picking out which ones to bring home (Let's just say we regularly have to stop at our 100 book max...).  But Cora is the one who really cracks me up:  Layla and Finn will pick out mostly picture books, but Cora goes into the teen girls section and brings me these awful princess or fairy tale chapter books.  She LOVES the covers.  She begs me to read them.  Rather than fight this I just open the book and start reading.  After about 1 paragraph she realizes the serious mistake she has made and wanders off, but not before trying at least 5 other similar books...in case the story line appeals to her more, or the in desperate hope that they contain pictures.  Hope springs eternal with this 3-year-old-going-on-15-year-old...


This particular visit she came back to me and reported: "Mama, I put all of the books on the floor so everyone can get them better!"  I am ashamed to report I did not go and try to fix that...pregnancy rest needs overrode my desire to not be "that mother."  Sorry, librarians.