On Friday in school we learned about maps: the kinds of things located on a map (compass rose, landmarks, distance marker, etc.) and how to use them. Friday afternoon Finn got to work making his own map of 3 important things in our neighborhood: the park, our house, and his friend Charlotte's house. On Saturday he absolutely BEGGED to be allowed to navigate to the park by himself. I wasn't too keen on this idea, so we compromised on them ALL navigating to the park alone. Layla was a bit nervous about this, but she shouldered the weight of responsibility like I knew she would, and off they went. The rules were that Layla was in charge of when to cross streets, and when to turn around and come home, but Finn was in charge of all directions and navigation. They had a lot of fun. Of course they took a water bottle and snack in Layla's backpack...just in case.
 |
| Cora walked most of the time, but Layla brought the umbrella stroller "Just in case" she got tired. Haha. Cora is 4, so that's basically the cut-off for me for pushing them around in strollers! Layla is a kinder soul than I am. ;) |
We had a birthday dinner scheduled for noon on Sunday in Northfield, to celebrate my Dad, Dan, and Eric (who is finally in the state long enough to pin down for a meal...haha). Eric requested a roast dinner with home-made bread, but as our resident bread maker was out of town for the weekend, I got that job. I make bread about 1x a year, so the fact that these loaves turned out ok was a minor miracle.
 |
| Saturday night, while the bread was baking, I walked into Dan's room to find this: everyone else on Dan's bed watching Star Wars with him to celebrate his birthday. I bet it was JUST the birthday celebration he imagined for age 33! ;) |
Sunday Morning: "Mama!!! Take a picture of us!!!!"
 |
| The roast dinner revealed |
While we were in Northfield for the birthday dinner Layla got in another call to Zoey in Chile. How do I know?? All of the pictures that show up on my phone...haha.