Normally Renee watches my kids on Friday mornings so I can do errands, the chief among them being Costco runs for our church, and other church-related needs. (I'm church secretary).
This past Friday morning I was in the ER with Layla from 2-6 a.m. for croup, so we didn't go over to Renee's that day. So, my church errands did not get done, and I decided to do them today (since I know our Wednesday night service people would likely need many of the things on the list).
We went to Costco, then headed to church to drop off all the stuff. Normally when I do that I park right in front of the church building, on the sidewalk. There is plenty of room for it, and in fact dips in the sidewalk to accommodate cars/church vans, etc. It's even more important for me to be close to the building now, as it's winter and slippery, I'm 5 months pregnant and so hauling stuff isn't delightfully easy for me, I can't leave the kids alone in the car for long (esp. in winter), etc. So, that's what I did.
I was almost done unloading everything, and just about ready to go, when a guy comes walking down the sidewalk towards me. He started yelling at me from a good 1/2 block away--screaming at me to get off the sidewalk, people wanted to walk here, this wasn't a parking lot, etc. Keep in mind, this is a large area. It was shoveled, and there was room for 2 people to pass easily on either side of my van. He was just pissy, and wanted to take it out on the pregnant lady with two other kids in her van, who was doing work for the church.
MISTAKE.
When he backtracked to walk up to my van window and yell MORE at me, that's when I said no. I rolled down my window and LAID.INTO.HIM. (I just so happened to be on the phone with Renee when this happened too, so she was slightly confused as to what was going on at that point in the conversation... ;) )
Telling him off felt great. I feel sort of bad saying that, but honestly, he was just being mean. I'm sure he has had a hard life in some areas, and I should have felt more grace for him, etc, etc, etc. But that wasn't going to happen just then. Crazy-lady pregnancy hormones took over, Mama Bear came out, and the Lisa who doesn't exactly take kindly to people trying to threaten and intimidate her took over. ;)
As I was driving away I had a moment of remorse: Sheesh. Here I am, the church secretary, and I just told off a local guy...in front of our church. Guess that's one guy who will never be coming to our church... Whoops. :) However, I texted my pastor to tell him the story, and he said 1) he wished he could have seen it, and 2) I was likely right in my response, and 3) we've been in the neighborhood long enough to know when to call a jerk and jerk. THAT made me smile. :)
So, that's my story for today. Don't MESS with pregnant me! ;)