I like the idea of celebrating St. Nicholas Day because Santa is everywhere. It's silly to think I can protect my kids from ever thinking about / seeing / believing in Santa if I never address what they'll see all around them as they grow up. Layla is already THRILLED whenever she sees Santa at the mall. :) I'm no "anti-Santa scrooge," but my main thing is to never lie to my kids. If they ask, I will tell the truth--always. So, I want them to know where the idea of Santa came from, and what a wonderful, giving, REAL man St. Nicholas actually was. I want them to know the difference between the reality and the myth, even at a young age.
Today we're going to read this book at dinner, after we've lit our Advent candle:
![]() |
| Add capthttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0758613415/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1ion |
I was very proud of myself that I actually remembered to get a good book AHEAD of time, so that we'd have it for today. :)
Then, because we love fun traditions around here, the kids will open some little trinket that I'll wrap and put in their shoes (part of the St. Nicholas story/tradition. Oranges are a normal gift, but sadly that's a no-go with my kids).
As they get older, I look forward to making the focus more and more OTHERS centered. I'll have them pick out gifts to give to other people on that day, do chores to earn money for specific charitable giving, or we'll do a family charity giving centered on that day, etc. Something along those lines. Lord knows they don't need more STUFF in their lives, but I guess I don't mind the little things that help build traditions and great family memories. ;)
Off to prepare!!
~Lisa
