Today, one of my last "when-I-have-a-home" dreams is coming true: we are buying a share of a cow. :)
Lame, I know, but I'm so excited to stop buying the rather expensive organic, grass-fed, hormone free ground beef from Costco. I just can't do regular ground beef anymore. I can't. It's too gross to me. Ages ago, my book club read the book "Eating Animals," which I would recommend...if you can stomach it. Ever since then I've been on a sloooooow journey to change my meat buying habits, and TODAY is a big-step-day in that journey!
Buying a cow is expensive though! We didn't buy a whole one ourselves--our Life Group from church went in and got 2 cows (1,100 lbs of packaged beef--steaks, ground beef, roasts, and stew meat), and we're splitting them. Jonas and I only got 1/4 of one, but we expect that to last us a good long time, especially since we don't really eat that much red meat. Even with only buying 1/4, though, I still had to spread out paying for that sucker over 4 months--my budget can't handle a hit like that all at once! It's on days like today, when Jonas is going to show up with boxes and boxes of relatively healthy meat for us, that I just love being organized and prepared ahead of time. :)
So, that's what I'm excited about today. That, and the fact that I've been SUPER productive today--lately, actually. I've gotten an itch--maybe the fabled "nesting" you hear about so much in pregnancy? I wouldn't know. I never had it with either of my other two kids.--to clean and organize all of our closets, cupboards, etc. It's been so immensely satisfying. *Happy sigh*
So, the free 1/2-size chest freezer that I got from Craigslist is there in my basement, ready and waiting for Jonas to get home. Three cheers for beef!
