Friday, June 19, 2015

A fun first!

Yesterday I took Layla and Finn to see "Peter Pan, the musical" at the Children's Theater in Minneapolis.  It was their first play!  Fun, fun!  (Jonas got to take both kids to their first two movie-theater movies, as I was with infant/nursing Cora during those times, so I'm excited I got to do a "first" like this with them.)



It was a really nice time.  :) The Children's Theater does an excellent job at everything, so it was fun to have that be their first experience, especially since the kids already know the story.  In fact, Layla leaned over to me a few times and said something like "That's not what happened!!"  But she was going more on the movie, not the story.

 We were sitting up VERY high, way in the back, because those were $10 seats, and frankly I just wasn't going to pay more than that before I knew that my kids could even sit through a 2 hour play.  Okay, if I'm honest, you're going to be hard pressed to get me to pay much more than that, EVER, but I guess I could imagine paying a bit more if I was taking only 1 child.  ;) Live theater is so much fun, and both kids sat through it all no problem, but I was glad Finn's seat was on the end of the row as he can't sit still to save his life (so at least his constant moving wasn't bothering anyone else).  Sometimes I wonder about him and formal education, and how he'll do with all of that... ;)

Layla was also a bit worried that we were so high up--she did NOT want to lean over the bar and look down below us, where as I had to practically keep Finn from climbing over 3 or 4 times.  I understand this, and so does her Papa.

Cora stayed with Grandma while we were gone, which was a rather long time...probably 4 hours.  In her entire life, that may be the longest Cora has ever been away from me!  :)  I generally don't leave my infants alone (other than with Jonas), especially when nursing, until they are old enough to WANT to be away from me that long...but Cora did fine.  She was 1-on-1 with Grandma the whole time, and they swang, played in the sand box, played in the water, and took a walk on which Cora fell asleep.  When we got back Grandma was sitting in the back yard with a sleeping Cora in the stroller, so she even woke up to us standing over her.  What a luck girl, to have such an attentive family! :)  Thanks for the babysitting help, Grandma!

I tried to get video of the kids saying what their favorite parts of the play were, but Layla's 1-word answer was "everything!" and Finn's was "flying!", so...those were boring videos.

Next up, I think Jonas is going to take them to see "The Jungle Book" at the Stepping Stone theater sometime this fall.  We have SO many great theaters around here, and it's fun to be in a new stage of life with my kids where we can experience it all again with them, through their eyes.  Yay for city art and culture!