Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Yesterday

Yesterday was an awful day around here.

Layla woke up at 4:45 a.m. with croup.  Why?  Because I said to Jonas on Sunday, "Hey, croup season is almost on us.  It's beginning soon!  Good thing we can still pay off our fun bills from LAST croup season."  And there you have it.  Universe:  tempted.

The older Layla gets, the less panicked she gets when she has croup, so that helps for sure.  Panic makes the breathing that much harder.  She sat in a steam bathroom for 15 minutes, then outside on our back porch for 2 hours in the cold morning chill.  I had one dose of oral decadron in the house, but I knew it was just shy of what she needed...8.75ml vs the 10 she needed.  I gave her that half dose, then set up an appt to see a Dr at 9:15 for the rest of the dose (and in case she still needed a neb by then).  We weren't able to see her ped, but we saw one of the other regular Drs at that practice.  As we were leaving there the Dr said "Wow.  You are QUITE knowledgeable on croup."  You THINK???  Haha.  It's all I've done for 7 years.  My own special little medical expertise that I wish I knew nothing about.  :)

While we were there, I wanted to get Cora 2 vaccines quickly.  She just needed to see a nurse, as I knew exactly which ones she needed (I do not do the intense schedule and instead spread them out over much more time).  The two shots were the chicken pox vaccine, which is lame, but I guess we'll do it as it's so rare for kids to catch it naturally these days, and the DTP-IPV-HepB combo shot.  Normally with shots, Cora might cry for 3 minutes or so and then be totally fine with a sucker...end of story.  This was sadly not the case that day.  Cora FREAKED OUT with the shot, and then refused to calm down afterward.  How long did she freak out, you ask?  9 hours.  It was 9 hours of intense emotional agony with Cora before she calmed down.  She was tensing her entire body, crying like she was in a lot of pain, refusing to walk for the entirety of those 9 hours, refusing to be comforted by anything, refusing to sit up (wanted to be flat on her back, which posed problems), refusing to be touched at all, etc.  It was so bad.  I was almost losing my mind and called Jonas to come work from home so I didn't have a sanity melt down.  Clearly I am a wuss.  :(  But my poor baby!  It was SUCH a bad reaction!!!  The odd thing is that her shot site was totally fine...no bruise, not bumps, etc.  However, I do remember that when Layla was around 5, maybe, and got the same DTP shot she developed a massive bruise on her upper arm and then refused to lift her arm for a week or so.  Good times.  Sigh.  :(

So, croup - 4:45a.m.-10:00a.m., vaccine reaction = 10:30-8:00 p.m., and then the elections destroyed what remained of my day.

  I have no words for Trump voters.  Never have I been so embarrassed for my fellow citizens and the choice they made, especially Christians who try to justify him.  In every past election, I have voted for one of the two major parties.  And I have voted for BOTH parties repeatedly, and almost equally.  I don't buy the "I'll do whatever the party wants" nonsense.  So in every past election, almost without fail, I've picked the person I wanted to win, but I knew in my heart that if they did not win, we'd probably be totally fine.  No big deal.  This time?  Yikes.  We have sunk to a massive new low, and I'm not sure how we get back from here.  It'll probably be with the fury of a thousand suns in 2020, but I guess that remains to be seen.