Winter in MN makes you slow down...if you are smart. It's always a bit of a jarring feeling, coming off of the high that is summer and fall around here. We do ALL THE STUFF in those seasons, because the weather and light permit it, and it feels fun and full of life.
But stopping and *not doing* are also delightful, and winter is the season we revel in that around here. We routinely have nothing going on at least 6 nights of the week...and it is glorious. We go to bed early...and the heavens rejoiced. We read books and sit by the fire...*a single tear of joy floats down Lisa's cheek*. Hygge is a word that is huge in popularity these days, and so it's starting to annoy me, but it's likely a good word to use for the season we try to embrace in winter in the Schaefer house. We rest. We don't do. We are still. We sit around and read. We are at peace, and we embrace the cozy anywhere we can find it. It's so.lovely.
So, here are a few photos of us doing this lately:
Two nights ago I introduced Layla and Finn to the Nutcracker Ballet via YouTube. It took Finn a while to get that it was not a play..."Wait...NO talking?? At ALL???" But he got it eventually, and the really loved it. I was frankly surprised. They asked to watch it again tonight. Here we are enjoying it in my bed, in the flannel sheets and cozy extra blankets.
This morning I said "yes" to Cora asking to play a game on my Kindle. Here she is, resting against my pregnant belly, kindly letting Finn WATCH ONLY. ;) I spent a good hour in bed after waking up, just snuggling with the family.
Today Jonas and I picked up our Christmas tree TOGETHER, for maybe the first time in 8 years (since having kids), after a lunch date. Then we watched White Christmas tonight. I mean, come on. What is more seasonal than THAT day, right??? :) . It was fun to see Layla and Finn really lock onto the dancing this year...








