I had 3 gifts wrapped, purchased far ahead of time.
I had the special books from our own library ready, and the special books I remembered to order AND pick up ahead of time from the library.
I made special cookies before dinner and let each kid eat one at the start of dinner...because I'm so chill like that. ;)
So we were all set to have a great St. Nicholas night! And we did. We had a great dinner together as a family, read about the real life of St. Nicholas and discussed Santa Clause, and then each kid put their winter boots in front of the fire and covered their eyes to see if "St. Nicholas" would bring them a gift. What do you know, he did! Games are the only thing St. Nick seems to bring to the Schaefer house. :)
Then guess what I found out the next day?
We had celebrated a day early. December 6th is St. Nicholas Day. And I knew that, technically...but...baby brain. It's a REAL THING. REAL.
Let me tell you, this has been my life lately. So close....so close....
I didn't take any pictures on the night of fake St. Nicholas day, but here are some pictures from lunch today where we were playing with our games again. And, as I write this, Layla and Finn are downstairs playing a ROUSING game of Guess Who? So, yay and winning and all those thoughts!
![]() |
| Hi Ho Cherry-O is the perfect game for her age. |
![]() |
| Playing Guess Who? and eating bread sticks with sauce to dip. Because Mama refuses to work hard on 3 meals a day. 1 meal a day. That's all I'll cook. 3 meals a day is EXCESSIVE. Insane. |
![]() |
| This is the book I own, that we read every year. |
![]() |
| Finn got 2 smaller games this year...he's a big fan of both, but especially UNO, which may be a tad over his head still. |
![]() |
| Library book |
To continue in my "so close, and yet...so far" theme of life lately, tonight for dinner I made split pea soup in the crock pot. This is a no-brainer recipe, folks. Super easy, and can be super tasty. In the end I cut a few corners, AND I left out both the onions and garlic in sheer pregnancy brain fog. Gah. We threw it all away at the end of dinner...haha. There was no saving that. I can't remember the last time that happened unless it was the great Falafel mistake of 2015 with Pat and Renee! Humble pie, multiple servings, that's been my life lately.






