We had such a fun time with the Horsman family over the past 24 hours! For whatever reason, my family has never been big into celebrating the New Year. SHOCKER, I know, I know. So, we've decided to embrace it and make it our own. :) Since most New Year celebrations involve young, hip people out late and drinking very expensive drinks...well, we had to re-think that, because...let's face it...we're almost none of those things. Plus babysitters are expensive. And we don't like being out on the roads with the drunks. ;)
So, we've started a traditional sleepover! Family-style! The Horsmans came over around 5:45 on New Years Eve, along with Dan, Mom and Lauren, and Greg and Andrea for a bit...but they were all gone by about 7:00. We opened a few generous presents from Mom, and had great home-made pizzas: a Bandito (banana peppers, hamburger, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, topped with bacon), a fancy Veggie (The sauce is dijon mustard, then you put red onion, tomatoes, and broccoli under your cheese. It also calls for mushrooms but I was out...), and a new one for me: the fancy Thai Chicken (the sauce is peanut sauce with some of Phil Carlson's Asian Zing mixed in for good measure, then banana peppers, chicken, onions, and cilantro. I wish I had peanut for topping, but again, alas...). The Bandito is awesome from John's Pizza, but mine is only so-so. I do always love my veggie pizza, though, and the Thai chicken one is going to stay around for sure! Yum! We also had some of my "famous" peanut butter cup popcorn, and some salted caramel shortbread for good measure.
Our mission was simple: relax, enjoy being together/family time, and make a big memory together...or establish a new tradition. We did AWESOME. :)
The kids had a great time playing and exploring the house, and THEN we had a dance party. :) It was spontaneous, as all the best dance parties are. Jon got out my guitar, Jonas got our his violin, and before you know it Renee and I are teaching them the lyrics to "The Fox Song." Renee got video of that, so look for it on Facebook. I got a video of some kids songs later on...see below.
Once Layla and Finn were in bed we did movies. The adults watched a movie in the living room, and the girls watched a movie in the guest room (see pics below).
We missed the ball dropping...because really..who cares? :) We had a great time together and went to bed around 12:45 or so.