Monday, April 3, 2017

Seeds

We're actually quite late to the game when it comes to starting seeds, but given that I don't actually expect many of these to survive, I guess we can start them anytime, right?? :)

Last year the kids picked out a bunch of seed packets to plant, but I never got around to it that year, so we're finally doing it this year...because...homeschooling, right?  Obviously.  This was science for the day.

Notice how much my kids don't love getting their hands dirty?  Haha.  Cora is...um...not quite as careful.  We obviously did this when she was at a friend's house...otherwise I likely would not have done it.

Filling the seedling boxes with soil.





Making a hole in the most dirt to drop our seeds into.


Funny story:  Last year there was a knock on the door and a lady was standing there with a clenched fist, wanting to give  me something.  She spoke with a thick, somewhat hard-to-understand eastern European accent (I think?), so I'm not 100% sure what she was saying all the time, but it basically turns out she dropped 10-15 Hyacinth seeds into my palm.  I think she had been going from door to door on the street, trying to find someone home to give them to.  She explained to me how to care for them (totally forgot, by the way...thankful for Goodle, as always) and then left.  It was so RANDOM.  She gave us Hyacinth seeds because we live on Hyacinth Avenue.  :)  I saved them and for sure wanted to plant them this year, even just for the conversation starter if they do work, and if they can survive my kids.  Fun times!  I'm pretty sure these experiences don't happen as often in deep suburbia culture, right?