Friday, October 19, 2012

On raising a boy:

Mercy.

Finn is giving me a RUN for my money, people!

Raising boys seems to be very different than raising girls.  While I type this Layla is sitting quietly on the couch with her baby, and Finn is tearing things to pieces in my room.  No joke.

I took these pictures over 20 minutes of time this morning...from around 8:00-8:20 a.m., I think.  I did not stage anything...I just kept the camera nearby and documented a small segment of Finn Time at the Schaefer house.  

Enjoy.  

...because I'm exhausted.  :)

This chair had to be moved on top of our kitchen table because Finn climbs it, then climbs on top of the table, throws his high chair train on the floor, flings the high chair clover on Layla's high chair, and then takes major risks by walking all over with no thought of falling.  Sweeeet.  

This chair is from our desk in our bedroom.  I had to put it up on the dining room table because there isn't really another place for it where he can't get to it to climb on it!  He likes to climb on top of our desk and mess with the computer.  He also loves to lean on the backs of chairs like this one and tip over.  He never, ever learns not to do this, no matter how serious or dramatic the injury might be.  So, Mama has to learn to protect him from himself.  

Finn was MAD at me for moving the above chair from this desk, so he went and got Layla's potty chair, removed the "potty" part, and tried to stand on the edges to climb up on the desk.  

Doing acrobatics on our bed.  In, on, over, under, around...over and over again.

He got stuck THREE times in a row with his foot or ankle caught in between the bed frame and  the bed itself.    Each time it's "Heeeeeep!  I tuuuuuuuuuck!"


Pulled open his bottom dresser drawer to climb up...but only after throwing his pants on the floor.  

Layla came in just after this and was very upset about the pants.  She helped me put them back while singing the clean-up song.  Love her.  :)

Again:  "Heeeeeeeeeeep!  I tuuuuuuuuuck!"  Climbing in the book shelf.  After he pushed all of the toys off of this particular shelf.


Guys, I am exhausted!  This may be because I was up with Layla all night last night, trying to help her breathe as she wheezed and hacked and coughed her way through the night...but I'll give Finn his fair share of the blame too!!!  It probably wouldn't be such a big deal if he didn't end each climbing adventure by getting hurt, crying very dramatically, needing me to comfort him, then doing it all over again.  Or going and taking some toy from Layla so she is crying AND he is crying at the same time.  Aaaaaaaaaall the time.  All.the.time.  :)

As soon as I finished this post I caught him in these two places:  On top of the bedside lamp table, and...


 Feet stuck inside the wine rack.  He seemed to be trying to put them in there, but was mad when they would then be stuck.  :)