Because I was still in my "recovery" phase of healing, Jonas ended up taking Layla (and Finn) to Layla's 4 Year "Well Child" check on Monday. I had completely forgotten about it in all of the focus on my rear end for the past week, so I was very thankful he was home from work and could take her without having to reschedule.
I warned Jonas ahead of time that I thought she needed to get a shot (just one at age 4, thankfully), and my only method of keeping the hysteria to a minimum: the suckers need to be IN the room BEFORE the shots happen. Finn absolutely hates it when Layla has to get a shot, so he FREAKS out and sobs in terror while I hold Layla's upper body down and the nurse gives her shots in the thigh. I'll have to stop bringing him to these appointments when he gets to the age of being able to remember long term...these for sure will scar him for life. He hates Layla getting a shot much more than getting his own shots...but that's likely because Layla is a Drama Queen. QUEEN. The nurses are so good, and so quick--amazingly quick.
(I mean, I guess I should have a little mercy here...it's been a while since I've had regular childhood vaccines, but I do get the flu vaccine, and the TDap every time I'm pregnant, and those seem like very mild, quick shots. However, maybe the shots to HER feel like that lidocain shot felt to me in the ER. If that is even close to the truth...wow. We might have to start taking some alternative medicine, because...DANG.)
Needless to say, Layla screams and wails and gnashes teeth. Finn cries for 20 seconds and then is done. Layla? We have to stay in the room for a good 15 minutes after her shots to get her calmed down. And then she limps for the rest of the day, and tells the horrible story over and over. :) Poor kid. Life is gonna be a little...rough, me thinks.
Anyway, Jonas was NOT helping my peace of mind by texting me ominous texts every 20 seconds, like "Yeah, it's all Dr. Happy now, but just wait until the needles come out!!!" etc. I think I got at least 5 from him. It's amazing he heard anything the Dr. actually said to him, really, with all the texting that was going on. I wonder where Layla got her dramatic flair? ;)
The only stat that Jonas remembered from her appointment is that Layla is now in the 80th% for weight. EIGHTY. That is INSANE. She has never broken above the 50th% in anything, pretty much ever!! However, I'm not really surprised. For the past 3 months she has been hungry all day, every day. She will eat FOUR pieces of toast for breakfast, then be asking for food 1 hour later. The sheer volume she consumes at every meal has drastically increased. Despite all of this, she is still right on target for the sizes she wears, and I still have to find skinny jeans/pants for her, or pants that have adjustable waists because she needs them on tightest possible setting or they will fall off her non-existent hips! I'm trying to figure out where she is putting this weight: her cheeks?? A little in the tummy, maybe, but not much. :)
Anyway, that's about it. As I didn't go, I don't have much more to report. Jonas said she freaked out for her shot, but then calmed down somewhat faster than normal and was even smiling and waving to all the (laughing) nurses on her way out, saying "Thank You!!!" :)
Cutie.