It's all the rage around here these days--all the cool kids are doing it. ;) But seriously, it makes a lot of sense and makes me question "What was I THINKING??" when I spent all of that time with previous kids (or $$ on jars of food) on "making baby food."
The basic idea is this: you don't start your baby on food at a set date, you start your baby on food when they show developmental preparedness, and one key factor there is when they can sit unassisted on their own. Then, you feed them big chunks of soft foods (initially, until teeth are present) that they can hold on their own, put in their own mouths, and learn to bite and chew with. No spoons, no silverware of any kind...no parents feeding the kids at all. They DO gag and choke initially, but it's a learning process and the babies are rarely scared--just the parents (it's been very interesting to watch Cora do this...she hasn't gagged or choked yet, but I'm sure she will eventually...it happens). I guess maybe it's not a good idea to do this method if you've never taken a CPR course? ;)
So, I own the book...and holy cow, it's looooong for such a simple idea! I'm already a flunkie: I read the first 30 pages, look at the rest of the book, and said "Why are there THIS MANY WORDS for such a simple idea?? I'm just gonna wing it." ;) I will go back soon and look to see if there are any new recommendations (based on studies) for foods to introduce first, foods to avoid until a certain age, etc. But for now we're just starting out slowly, whenever I feel like cleaning up a mess. Why slowly? Well, because technically Cora isn't even ready to start solid foods yet, as she doesn't sit up on her own...haha! (In all honesty, I keep intentionally delaying her when she tries to do more grown-up stuff...who told her she could grow up? She keeps trying to get up on all 4s, and oh no no...I pick her right up as soon as I see her do that. I am not ready for a crawler yet...haha! Oh, 3rd children. I promise I'll let her do these milestones eventually, but not yet). Oh, you old rule-breaker, Lisa... ;) I'm sure bananas are NOT a recommended first food, as they can cause babies to become constipated, but I always have bananas on hand...and they are oh-so-easy to prepare...so that's what Cora is starting with. Avocados are up next, as soon as the 6 on my counter ripen.
So, here is Cora, eating her "first food."