Monday, November 24, 2014

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ugh. You guyyyyyyyyyyyyyys.  I'm so sad.  I think Finn has developed a NEW allergy to eggs (which Layla is already allergic to).


Finn's allergies always manifest on his skin, while Layla is more gastro-intestinal issues.  So, for the past 2 weeks Finn's skin has been going crazy.  Big red marks all over his butt, huge red itchy patches behind his knees, little red bumps all up and down his legs that he was scratching constantly, etc.  

When it first started I just thought it was the change over to the dry, winter weather...and he might need a little lotion and a humidifier in his room at night.  But nope, it continued, and it got worse.

I thought maybe it could be the laundry detergent we are using, but no, that is already super hypo-allergenic, and I've been using it for over a year without any skin issues from him.  And it still got worse.

So I finally had to stop and just think.  WHAT had changed for Finn in the last 2 weeks??  He had no dairy at all, hadn't been around any cats or dogs, etc.  Then it hit me.

He has always eaten eggs, but more like a normal person eats eggs:  an egg once or twice a week, maybe less.  For the past two weeks he has all of a sudden started LOVING eggs. He has eaten them daily, if not every other day.  And he has eaten a lot of them, not just one.  For example, on the day the above picture was taken he ate two boiled eggs for breakfast and two for a snack/lunch later on.  

Uuuuuuuuuuuugh!  I was just telling Renee how thankful I was that he 1) likes eggs, and 2) can eat them, because they are so cheap, easy, and a great protein/fat.  Sigh.  

Now, obviously, this is not confirmed at all--it's just my Mommy hunch right now (but since noticing the skin and making the connection to eggs in my mind, I haven't let him have any eggs at all, and his skin is almost back to totally normal...the big red welts on his butt are the last to fade away).  But, I'm about 100% accurate so far at having my Mommy hunches confirmed at the allergist, so we shall see if my streak of accurate diagnoses continue. 

Layla has to go in sometime in the near future to have her 5-year check with the allergist (to see if she has outgrown anything), and now I think I need to bring Finn with too, just to check and see if he has ADDED eggs to his list.  

I'm just bummed.  Allergies stink.  Booooo.  :(