Twice a month I'm likely going to be doing "outings" with the kids and another group of home schooled kids called Little Urban Explorers. We've only been to 2 other events so far, but I'm going to try to make it a priority to go twice a month at least to help get a small community going for the older 2. LUE is a secular group of homeschooled kids (not that they are all secular, but they don't do anything related to religion when they get together, and most of them do not homeschool for religious reasons), and that's sort of what I'm looking for right now. People who homeschool for religious reasons kind of make me roll my eyes much of the time, and I tend not to be great friends with them...haha. ;) So this will work well for us for this year, I think.
This past Thursday morning we went to the Gibbs Farm and learned about life around the mid 1800s, along with life for the Dakota people around that time (we went into a soddie house for farmers, a bark house for Dakota people, and a teepee created by Dakota people), and then we made candles.
 |
| A sod house. |
 |
| The barn. |
 |
| The White building in back is the school house. |
 |
| The main house. |
 |
| Kids doing guided tours. |
A few photos I send to J from my crappy phone camera.
I brought my real camera with me, but there was honestly no time to take pictures because: Cora.
 |
| In the school house from 1865, learning the rules and doing some work. |
 |
| Checking out the pigs. |
 |
| Finn is disgusted by the smell and sound. |
 |
| They are holding the candles they made out of bees wax. |
 |
| You guys. It is EXHAUSTING to take Cora on a field trip for older kids. So not smart. This Mama needed a contained space where they could run around for a while in safety. AND I packed lovely lunches, which I then left on the counter when we left, so off we went to the McDonalds play place. No shame, people. No shame. Do what you gotta do to survive! |