Several years ago we went up to Duluth for a family get-away mid-winter, and then that became a tradition for a few years. Duluth is the perfect get-away location for a little family, mostly because it can be done fairly inexpensively, and it has lots of lovely, free things to do with little kids. However, we put this tradition on hold for the last two years due to trying to save money, even as cheap as it is to go there. This year we discussed the fact that all of our vacation and travel time was spent exclusively with extended family (Schaefers or Berubes), and, as much as we LOVE being with each and every one of those people, we feel like it is important to build our own "small family" vacation and travel memories too. :)
So, we decided a little last minute to head up to Duluth for one night (still trying to be studious with money). I know pretty much all of my posts in May include the worst "perfect May weather!", but that's because it's always true. And this trip was no exception to that rule! 77 on our first day up there, and 70 on the second. For this mama, who hates being very hot, there is almost nothing better.
Our hotel (the Edgewater resort and hotel) did not open up for check in until 4:00 p.m., so we went out onto the point for some wave and sand time before check in. Finn and Cora were in heaven. Layla is more of a pool kind of gal, so she enjoyed it was much as she could while waiting patiently, but the other two were all joy and giggles and delight.
Below you will find our pictures from the day 1 visit to the point:
| Mama came prepared with beach toys. *bows* |
We actually rushed out of here at this point in the pictures because we needed to quick drop myself and the kids off at the hotel so Jonas could take the car in to get the break pads replaced. They started grinding on our way up, sort of without warning, so what could have been a super cheap repair job for Jonas down here became...ah...much more, up there. So Jonas dropped us off, and I took the kids in the pool while he did car repairs, then he joined us for the rest of the night.
The kids CRASHED hard, which is always a lovely result of swimming, for sleep that night. I didn't take any pictures of pool time on Saturday night (because no way am I going to leave my somewhat expensive baby down by the pool when I have to keep my eyes on 3 kids), so I took a bunch of photos on Sunday morning during pool time, when quickly brought the camera back up to the room so I could enjoy the rest of our time together in the pool. I'm lame, I know. But at least I got some photos while enjoying most of my time IN the pool. :)