Sunday, September 30, 2012

Birthday Party Morning:

Things I re-discovered about myself this morning:
1.  I don't actually care all that much about my kids birthday cake.
2.  But I do care enough to give a half-ass attempt at making a fun one.
3.  I am not creative.
4.  I need step-by-step directions.
5.  If I don't get the directions, I just wing it...then am confused as to why my cake looks sub-par.
6.  I care about my cake being sub-par for about 5 minutes, unless I know Renee will be taking pictures.  THEN I am sad that my lack of domestic skills will live on FB forever.  :)
7.  I generally want to just get things done, not necessarily putting in the effort to make it amazing.
8.  This makes me wonder why I actually try each year, and why I don't learn my lesson and just buy a cool one OR learn how to make a better cake each year...you know, put in more effort?  But nah.  Who cares?  It's a cake.  I just can't work up any energy for it.  :)

While I was making her cake, Layla wanted to make her own cake too.

Finn stood VERY close to the M+M bags...


"Mama, das YOUR cake, and dis is MYES cake!  Dat one is yours, dis one is mine!"

My cake!!

Proud girl.

20 minutes later I went out to the kitchen because I heard the sound of "sucking."  It was Layla, sucking the frosting off of each and every M+M on her cake, then putting it on the side of the plate.  She just wanted the frosting, not he candy. :)

Sad about something....

Finished product?  Meh.  

Super creative stuff, folks!

Jonas drew the pot for me because I was literally too scared to.  LITERALLY, Renee.  

So, this afternoon we'll have Layla's birthday party (okay, it's also celebrating Grandma and Jonas too, but Layla is the only one getting presents)!!  Wheeee!  Sorry, Sue and Holly...your gifts are not here yet.  :(  But, if it makes you feel any better, I ordered a gift for Layla that was from my parents and us (from Amazon--a seller, not direct...) over three weeks ago, and it STILL is not here.  I'm so very very upset about this.