Saturday, June 10, 2017

Recent book:

I'm close to finishing "Play:  How it shapes the brain, opens the imagination, and invigorates the soul" by Stuart Brown, M.D.  


As a homeschooling mother of 3 young kids, and as a person with a personality drawn to routines and structure myself, this has been a very helpful book to read.  I imagine there are many people out there who have never read the research like it's is presented in this book, but they intuitively "get it."  I am not that person...haha.  :)  So, I read the books.  I've very much enjoyed this one, for sure.  It's not a light ready, but it's very interesting and useful to me on a very fundamental level as I continue to grow as a parent through research.  

Turns out Stuart is a big thing on google images!  Look at all the pretty things below that I found about him...I left a few more back on google for you to find yourself:




This is important for me to remember when "doing school" at home, especially considering what I would most like school at home to look like.  It often looks VERY different from my comfort zone, and that's just fine.  As the adult, I better be able to bend and grow just as much as I expect my kids to!

Here is Stuart's Ted Talk, if you don't have the time to read the book but are interested in the research: