My wonderful phone, which I loved dearly, died. It wasn't all the way dead (I could still text fine, and hear anyone who called ME, but no one could hear my voice)...but we had to just end it and put it out of misery.
The technology bastards at Verizon (Curtis was actually a super nice guy...thanks for being a nice geek, Curtis!) ensured that I'd have to get a smart phone by making it cheaper. With my smart phone now, and even getting insurance on it, our plan is still cheaper now than it was before when I had a dumb phone. So, that's good, I guess. I'm always a fan of whatever is a better value, right? (I got almost the cheapest one I could get too...you would not believe what people are paying for iPhones these days, evidently!! Jonas better not have spend that much money...haha!)
I just didn't want this . If I had wanted a smart phone, I would have purchased one. But I didn't. I like that my phone was just a phone...I called people on it. I texted. That was it. Sometime I took pretty crappy pictures on it, but rarely. It was a device I used for specific communication. I never looked at it unless I wanted to call someone. It was small and fit EASILY into my pocket. I could drop it a thousand times and it didn't shatter (like every other iPhone user out there, it seems). It WORKED for me. :) I had it for over 5 years and never lost it or broke it. I mean, come on...how can you argue with that, right?? I have not once in my life spent money on a phone...I've always just gotten what was free in whatever upgrade was offered through the phone company. I'll pass on spending money just to be trendy (which is totally what it would be for ME, as a SAHM, near my computer if needed...none of what a smart phone offers is a true need. It's a social status symbol,or convenience at a high price, but I get why other people certainly need aspects of smart phones in jobs they do, etc.).
Now, I get that there are upsides to a smart phone too. I look forward to having, should I want:
1. Navigation (although I'm wicked good at directions now, thanks to not having a smart phone, so I'm kind of sand if I get dumber in that area...)
2. A better camera than my dumb phone (although I liked that my dumb phone made me use my very nice digital camera all the time, so I'll be sad if I stop doing that and don't keep taking quality photos...)
3. A way to play audio books (we love us some audio books in this house!!) in the car for the kids.
4. A way for me to listen to podcasts (finally!) without being tied to my laptop.
These will all be lovely things. I know that. But they aren't "needed." I'm a stay at home mom, for crying out loud. I'm relatively near my computer all the time. And if I'm not, then there is likely something ELSE I should be doing other than checking something online.
I 100% dislike how almost everyone who has a smart phone uses them...how they seem to take over lives, little by little. I'm the only one at Layla's ballet lessons who reads a real book while the rest of the parents (without fail) scroll on their devices. I'm the only one who reads a real book at Layla's swimming lessons...same scenario. I'm the only one who doesn't hand my kids a movie or game if they come with me to those places. Why?? It'd no bueno, folks. No bueno. My kids learn from watching how I behave, and what I do. That is their #1 way of learning. If I have rules about their screen time, yet I constantly have a screen on me and check it all the time...kids see exactly what I'm actually saying there, and the hypocrisy in that . I'm highly aware of this and trying to be very intentional about exactly what I model to my kids when it comes to priorities, entertainment, communication, and time.
So, here I am, forced to embrace a technology that I don't think will actually enrich my life at all. It'll be nice, and fun at times, but it's not going to help in my pursuit of more simple, meaningful connection with anyone.
Wish me luck in navigating THAT mine filed. :) Haha! And feel free to text me ALL your emoji now...I can finally see them.
