You guys. This is annoyingly inconvenient. Every single time that Jonas goes somewhere, whether for fun or for work, I am home with sick kids or some sort of trauma.
Some recent examples:
Jonas goes to Amsterdam for work = Our electricity goes out for 4 days in July (no AC), and Layla had croup.
Jonas goes to D.C. for Octoberfest fun = sick kids.
Jonas went on a men's retreat for church = One of the older kids had croup.
Jonas goes to Nashville for BBQ fest #1 with brothers = sick kid.
Jonas goes to Toby's wedding = Both older two kids AND me were on our deathbeds.
AND, our most recent example: Jonas left this morning for BBQ fest #2 with brothers = Layla had croup last week and has passed it on to Cora.
We have had a rough two days of trying out possible remedies. She has been surprisingly good through it all, but it's impacting her sleep for sure, and her breathing is pretty rough during the day. Poor baby. I am way out of my depth in trying to help a 6-month-old with croup...all my fixes are for older kids, so I've been trying but feeling like I'm failing her. :( This morning was the first time I saw a bit of panic in her eyes as she was coughing and working to clear her airways, so as soon as she wakes up from a nap we'll go in to urgent care. (When THEY are scared I go in to the Dr, ASAP. If it's just me, then I wait a bit...)
But isn't that a little crazy? Every time Jonas leaves we deal with illness? Gah. I mean, I'm so glad he gets to go out and do fun stuff every once and a while--he deserves it for sure! I just need to plan better. Next time Jonas books anything fun, I'm going to start giving all the kids some sort of medicine concoction at least 3 days in advance, just to kill off whatever is trying to set in by the time he leaves. ;) Just kidding...well, maybe only sort-of kidding...
So, I'm just waiting for Cora to wake up, and then off to Urgent Care we go. Because of course things like this can never happen on week days, when we could go in to the cheaper regular clinic, right? Nope. Only Urgent Care and the ER for us. We like to live on the expensive edge. ;)