Friday, July 14, 2017

Vacation books:

The following books are books I read at least one chapter out of on vacation.  I didn't get as much reading done as I wished on vacation, but that's okay...we were together, making good memories and doing fun things TOGETHER like Artventure, board games, and bike rides to the park.  I'll get to read as much as my little heart desires someday, right?

Seriously, though.  I have a book addiction. It's bad.  Real bad.  The current stack next to my bed is 12 deep and growing...I think I need a new system.  I can't just read one book start to finish.  I might need to spread out more.

Finding the picture for this book had me laughing. Normally I go to google images and simply type in the name of the book.  Well, you can imagine...the title of this book brought up some pretty painful and hilarious photos...sigh.  Oh, America.  :)

This is a lovely book full of very practical advice.  I find myself easily incorporating many practices into my daily speech with Layla and Finn, but it's a bit harder with Cora...I'm not sure if that's due to her developmental stage or my lack of experience in using these new thought and speech patterns...haha.

I'm reading this book as I follow along with a podcast my friends do...feel free to listen in if you like.  Homeschool Unrefined episode 30


The Enneagram is ALL the rage in my circle of friends and acquaintances these days...it's kind of crazy.  Meyers Briggs was SO last year.  ;)  But, I love all things that help you understand yourself and those you care about better, so I'm diving in!


I'm very torn on this book.  I very much like the style of writing...it's conversational while still being intelligent.  I find I strongly agree and resonate with 85% of what he says, but I strongly disagree with the other 15%.  STRONGLY.  It's a very odd position to be in.  A lot of the reasons he has for why people would homeschool are spot on, and he has an excellent grasp of what education has been in our country (the history of it), the the potential for what it can be in homeschool.  But then...then he absolutely demonizes public schools and public school teachers.  It's just bad.  So, I'm torn...I love so much, but it's hard to trust someone who lives in such extremes.  I find myself not trusting your other ideas when you clearly show yourself to not have a nuanced idea of the gray most people live in...black and white (extremism) is easier, but gray is the reality of living and history, sometimes.  Sigh.  I wanted to love this one.  But I'm torn.  (The cover art is horrible, I know, but he let a 13 year old artist design his cover, so that makes up for some of it, right?)


I've read this book once before, a long time ago, but it seemed like it was time to read again.  Jonas and I are likely going to put away our big TV in our living room for a year, starting this fall, and only watch TV when we enjoy a movie as a family...nothing more.  BUT, I'm re-reading this book due to social media...everything he says in here about past forms of entertainment or TV are even more relevant now due to internet and social media in particular.  Good stuff.  Not the *easiest* read at time (a bit dry), but very full of wisdom.

Edited to add one:
How could I forget this one??  It's on loan to me from Renee, and I'm hurrying to finish it because Jon wants to read it too...

This is really good, and such a breath of fresh air to read.  Some of the essays are much better written than others, but they all offer deep encouragement.